Thomas Skip Hollowell
5854 Plank Dr, Hilliard, OH 43026
- More than 20 years in the IT field, spanning all levels of the SDLC from Quality Assurance, to Development, to Design and Architecture.
- Direct project experience with Agile methodologies of software development, most recently incorporating Scrum on team sizes of 3 to 8.
- Functional and efficient in current development environments using IntelliJ or using any Eclipse based tools as well. Direct project work with OCLC Platform Services, Spring technologies, and the Grails framework
- Current development languages include Java, Groovy, Shell scripting, and PHP.
- Serving as Technical Lead for two current projects as well as multiple past projects. Leaned upon as a bridge between non-technical managers and highly technical development staff.
- Willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done; t wice awarded the OCLC Spotlight Award for work above and beyond the parameters of the position.
- Well versed in modern PHP based CMS suites like Drupal, Joomla and WordPress.
- Created the Grails based TPPUI for the WCP team to be able to quickly and correctly modify customer processing data to allow for new data processing flows.
- As part of the WCP sub-team, worked to move the processing of customer batch data to a java-based, easily-maintainable, open source based system with 3-5 times the performance.
- Delivered the closing presentation at the 2013 GES Technolog y Summit, detailing the importance of documentation, its intended audience, and core content.
- Developed a document management and viewing solution for one of the tobacco customers facing mandates from Congress for transparency of their historical data. Taking place over the span of 5 full days, our team and solution allowed the company to become the first to meet the requirements and avoid financial penalties.
- For fun and for experience, I am the Webmaster of two not-for-profit sites: Boy Scout Troop 200 and a homeowner’s association.
OCLC, Dublin, OH
Consulting Software Engineer
2009 – Present
- Served as developer, technical lead, and architect on multiple projects
- Mentored junior developers on design and coding practices.
- Collaborated with senior-level developers via daily stand-ups, planning sessions, pair programming, and reviews.
- Served as release planner and as first-line support for several projects. Oversaw resource requests for development, testing, and production environments, as well as the deployments to those environments.
- Attend several different Architecture group meeting s on a regular basis, and serve on the SEAG Documentation subgroup to help improve system artifact creation and storage.
- Worked independently on Grails projects to quickly incorporate basic UI features for non-critical data systems
Online Resources (ORCC), Columbus, OH
2007 – 2008
Senior Software Engineer
- Designed, Developed and Maintained a User Interface for an ePayment Call Center using Struts 2.
- Leveraged the Call Center framework to create an Operations Interface and a Customer Self Serve site using extensive code reuse and shared libraries.
- Developed new module for existing Struts 1 based application to support a satellite project in a remote location.
- Coordinated efforts with a Middleware Team to verify request and response messages for all SSL- based XML Web Service calls.
- Installed and maintained Fedora Core Linux development integration environment.
Robert Half Technologies, Columbus, OH
Internet and J2EE Contractor (AT&T)
2003 – 2007
- Redesigned and maintained a customer care application using the Struts Framework along with Tiles for the interface.
- Generated API calls from Struts to Tuxedo Web Services through Cape Studio and to mySQL databases via JDBC Drivers.
- Installed, modified, and maintained Content Management Servers running PostNuke and Drupal. Modified template graphics and layouts as needed using Open Source tools such as GIMP.
- Installed and maintained several Linux systems, along with the application software running on them: mySQL, Apache Versions 1 and 2 (with and without PHP Extensions enabled), Tomcat Versions 4, 5.0 and 5.5, and mySQL versions 4 and 5.
- Installed and maintained PVCS and then CVS Source Control systems. Supported users directly and remotely as needed.
General Software Contractor (Honda of America)
- Debugged and modified an existing Epicentric portal and Documentum Web Content Management system.
- Corrected several outstanding Java, JSP and DQL errors in design and development that previously prevented system from entering production
Meritage Technologies, Columbus, OH
Java Team Lead
2001 – 2002
- Created an Epicentric Module that integrated a WebSphere application into the Epicentric framework. Multiple JSP tightly coupled with the Epicentric mixed -module development framework.
Open Text / (formerly Information Dimensions) Columbus, OH
1993 – 2001
- Managed a pool of resources for delivering over 1 million dollars in consulting services for the BASIS product line, and maintained a billable time percentage of over 85% for all available team members. Responsible for monthly forecast, project tracking, and development of future contracts.
- Developed document tracking and ordering system for the CDC to assist in the development and dissemination of trade publications within certain dep artments. Implemented a CGI based reporting system with Perl and GNU libraries to allow for single or multiple record reporting, processing and printing via web browser based access.
- Administrator for Sun Ultra with Solaris 7, used by the Professional Ser vices Group for project development and delivery.
- Worked on the product support team to provide system and application assistance to our customers over the phone. Specialized in UNIX system support and general Web and Database troubleshooting.
- Worked with marketing, sales, and customer service department heads to develop a support program for customers new to the Internet, Intranet, and Web enabled systems. Created support levels, customer requirements, and technical specificat ions used in selling these consulting packages to current or new customers.
- Created first web site for Information Dimensions in 1995. Worked with Sales and Marketing departments to create vibrant content, and worked with a local design company for site design and graphics.
Naval Air Warfare Center, Aircraft Division, Indianapolis, IN
Quality Assurance Engineer
1991 – 1993
- Involved in all aspects of software development from design to testing.
- Assistant System Administrator on an HP 9000 UNIX machine. Responsible for installing new software, making backups, and general troubleshooting.
- Worked as a member of a C team, mainly coding utility functions, as well as checked the code and design so that it would be easily translatable into Ada in the future. Acted as Ada coding authority on project.
B.S., Computer Science
SkipHollowellCareerResume2013 (PDF Version)